Q. My left nose makes a weird sound following a hit. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on Jun 18, 2019

One week ago and five days, I hit a school clock off the wall and on the left side of my nose. I went to the E.R., and they said it was not broken, and it was only swollen and bruised. The swelling went down, but it is still hurting, and it has been stuff since then. I used a flashlight to look into my nose, and in the left nostril, I saw to things like deep into that was red and kind of swollen, and when I looked into the right nostril, I saw the same thing, but they were pink and not swollen. But when I breathe in hard, my left nostril makes a weird nose like a motor that was not before the injury. Please help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Nasal trauma and consequent inflammation can cause symptoms like you are complaining. Epistaxis and stuffiness can be present. Since you have been examined at ER and they did not find any signs of fracture, there is nothing much to worry. The swelling you saw deep into your nose is turbinate, and they need not be necessarily identical on two sides. Since there was trauma, it is likely to be congested. There is no reason to be worried too much. Use decongestant drops for a while, and it will be fine.

| 

Should I take my son to a doctor immediately for a nosebleed?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son bumped his nose on his cousin, while in a swimming pool. It bled a lot, but I pinched his nose for a couple of minutes while he was sitting on my lap. The bleeding stopped immediately. Now, he is calm and watching television. Should I take him to a doctor immediately?  Read Full »

Blood is coming from my nose and mouth. What may be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my nose and mouth, blood is coming.  Read Full »

How can I reverse fluid retention in my nose and lips?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old, and every morning my nose and lips appear swollen due to fluid retention, but as the day goes, it usually subsides. However recently, it is not going away, which means that every time my nose swells up, it remains that way. Does this mean the drainage system is blocked...  Read Full »