Q. I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my friends told me that I was not able to breathe. Once I woke up, I saw the area around my eye is bruised. It happened again last night and I was able to inhale and not able to exhale.

#

Please mention the position while fainting whether you were standing or sitting or doing exertion, any other symptoms such as dizziness, sweating, duration of fainting, any urinary incontinence, or tongue bite. Please mention about the health condition present after getting consciousness whether you were confused or totally oriented and alert. Please mention whether you had any previous history or any family history of such episode, any other illness such as cardiac or neurological. Please do an ECG (electrocardiography) immediately.

Have a followup with the provision of the above-mentioned history and ECG (electrocardiography).

This happened for the first time before 25 days and I was standing up and smoking a cigarette. I do not have dizziness or sweating. But I had muscle stiffness and I was not able to breathe. I fainted for a short time and I did not have trauma fainting. I did not have urinary incontinence and tongue bite. When I got recovered, I was very confused. I sat on the sofa and I was not able to recognize people around me. Then again, I had these symptoms last night. I do not have a family history with similar episodes and I never had any cardiac or neurological problems. Before seven years, I did an electrocardiogram to play sports and everything was fine.

#

Sudden loss of consciousness with loss of muscle tone resulting in fall and regaining consciousness in a short time without intervention is called syncope. The most common cause of syncope is vasovagal syncope and there is a drop in the blood pressure and heart rate to the level that the brain cannot receive enough blood and it results in loss of consciousness and fall. This is a benign problem with no serious sequelae. Some tests such as checking blood pressure in lying position and rechecking them upon standing and after three minutes of standing is done. Another test called the tilt table test (TLT) is done to diagnose a vasovagal reaction. In this test, the blood pressure and ECG (electrocardiography) are done every few minutes. The other common causes of syncope are hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and it is diagnosed on echocardiography. Other causes are conduction system-related such as long QT syndrome and Brugada syndrome and it is diagnosed using ECG at rest and after provocation. There is a sudden decrease in heart rate or there is a sudden increase in heart rate (ventricular tachycardia) and it leads to syncope. The other rare causes are the origin of coronary arteries arising from an abnormal location or following an abnormal course. You need to do CT (computed tomography) angiography. You may also need proper cardiac auscultation. I recommend you do a resting ECG, echocardiography, and holter monitoring. Apart from this, check the postural blood pressure drop.

You need to do ECG (electrocardiography), echocardiography, and holter monitoring.

Have a follow up after doing ECG and echocardiography.

|