Q. I am tapering off Lamictal taken for bipolar disorder. Will it damage my organs?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am tapering off Lamictal, and have a question regarding this. I went from 200 mg to 175 mg. I have been doing this for a week now. When you are tapering off from Lamictal, can it in any way cause problems with the organs like heart failure, heart attack, seizures, etc.?

I use Lamictal for bipolar disorder. Is tapering off, in any way, dangerous to the body? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Usually, Lamotrigine is tapered off when the patient's condition is stable. This is important. This decision is discussed between the patient and the doctor who has initiated the medicine. It should never be done by oneself. You should ask the guidance on tapering off the Lamotrigine and other side effects expected from it.

While tapering off, there might be withdrawal symptoms like rebound or worsening of bipolar symptoms, anhedonia, anxiety, etc. But not necessarily present in every individual and is seen who tapers more quickly.

If there are such episodes, report to your treating doctor immediately.

I hope this was helpful.

I have discussed this with my doctor. I am doing this with my doctor. I wonder if tapering off Lamictal can harm my body, as in heart failure, organ problems, etc.? Or is it safe physically to taper off Lamictal? Kindly give your opinion.

#

No, it does not harm your body, as you ask in the question. When the patient's condition is stable, medicine is usually tapered off to prevent unnecessary side effects of the medicine. Tapering off is done in any condition which requires a chronic intake of medication after assessing the clinical condition and control of symptoms in the patient.

I hope this was helpful.

|