Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What are these orange and red lumps above the top teeth of my 10-month-old?

Answered by
Dr. Paras Angrish
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2017

Hello doctor,

My 10-month-old baby is cutting her top tooth and there are orange and red lumps above where the tooth has started to come. What are these lumps? I have attached few pictures for your reference.

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentistry Paediatric Dentistry


Welcome to

I have seen the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As your child is 10 months old, the upper teeth should have been erupted by this time. But three to six months delay is normal and it looks like your child is putting teether in his mouth and bitting it hard which is normal during teething.

If the lower teeth are there, they also exert pressure if the child bites strongly on upper gums which also leads to this condition.

Just check if there are no other lesions like this in the baby's mouth.

If the child is irritable, you can use an over-the-counter analgesic gel, like Dologel (Choline Salicylate and Lidocaine Topical) over the lesion only and keep the area clean.

Take lukewarm water and wipe the area with wet cotton and you can give the child a chilled teether to give relief.

If there is associated fever that is also normal up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

If the lesion does not resolve in three to four, visit a pediatric dentist to get a treatment. But, from the picture, it looks like it is only a teething trouble and this will resolve on its own.


For more information consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I fix the small gap in the bottom half of my front teeth?
I saw blood in my stool, and I have a small lump in my anus. Any home remedies?
Baby is chewing on his tongue. Can this be due to teething?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can I mange pain in uvula and soft palate due to laryngeal mask?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laryngeal mask during IVF egg collection, and when I woke up, I could not bear the pain in the uvula and soft palate. Now its day four and I am crying. I had an embryo transfer, but I cannot take antibiotics now as it hurts and burns during swallowing. I am worried that my immun...  Read Full »

Why do my teeth break after biting something hard?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem. My teeth are brittle because if I eat something hard they sometimes break or I would feel a hole developing and this is stressing me out because I have already taken out three of them and now another one is close to being totaled. Earlier today I ate something and I ...  Read Full »

My son has swelling on face. Is that due to teething or allergy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 17 months old. He has a swollen upper lip on the inside of his mouth. It is not pus filled, just swollen. Both cheeks are puffed up because of the swelling. The swelling started overnight. Also, he has a fever. One side of the molar came out. Is this because of teething or an al...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.