Q. Can taking tablet Saxenda for weight loss, cause hair loss?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I have noticed substantial hair loss recently, and I am concerned if it is balding or telogen effluvium. When I run my hands through the hair, it feels so dry, and hair is coming out. There is thinning out of hair, and I have a tingling sensation on the scalp. I took tablet Saxenda 3 mg four months ago, and I lost 10 kg in four to six weeks. I occasionally take half a tablet of Valium. I also started taking tablet Ritalin 25 mg occasionally four months ago.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

After assessing your symptoms, I suggest it is telogen effluvium with dermatitis (inflammation) of the scalp and back of the neck. In acute telogen effluvium, follicles go in the resting phase, and the abrupt onset of increased hair shedding involves the entire scalp. Poor nutrition, crash diet, and weight loss are the trigger factors. The main causes are physical illness, mental stress, low protein intake, lack of nutrition (crash diet), surgery, and infection. It is self-limiting and will recover in a few months. It will revert to normal in three to six months.A protein-rich food is essential for hair growth. I suggest eating eggs, fish, curd, milk, lentils, chicken, pulses, walnuts, and almonds. Improve your diet. Nutrition is the key to healthy hair. I suggest taking,

a) Capsule Perfectil plus twice daily in the morning and night after food, for one month.

b) Tablet Zinc gluconate 100 mg once daily after breakfast for two months.

c) Apply Ketoconazole lotion 20 minutes before bath for 20 days (on inflammatory lesions of scalp or neck).

Wash scalp thrice weekly with Ketoscalp shampoo for four weeks. Avoid hot showers. Get hemoglobin, serum ferritin, vitamin D, serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), and sugar levels checked.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few more doubts. Will shaving my head help with the symptoms? Is Regaine worth trying? What is Perfectil? Is Ketoscalp, an antidandruff shampoo? Some medicines are not available in my region. Kindly help.

#

I suggest not to shave your head. I also suggest:

a) Apply Regain (Minoxidil) 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml at night for six months. Wash the scalp and dry it, and then apply.

b) Tablet Perfectil contains biotin, omega acids, etc., or tablet Androanagen (Minoxidil and Aminexil). It is another alternative hair nutrient pill.

c) Use Anaphase or Anaboom shampoo twice weekly for six weeks. This shampoo is a good choice while using Minoxidil (Regain) or Nizoral (Ketoconazole 1%) shampoo is a good option for itchy scalp and greasy inflammation lesions.

d) Apply Kevon stay on (Ketoconazole 2%) lotion 20 minutes before bath or Dersil AF (Ketoconazole 2%) body wash for bathing for two months.

Eat protein-rich food as mentioned above. Also, eat food rich in zinc, biotin, iron, and vitamins. Eat spinach, broccoli, cashew nuts, fortified cereals, oats, cauliflower, onions, whole grains, avocados, papaya, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, seafood, cheese, red kidney beans, lemon, oranges, pineapple, and kiwi. Drink a glass of carrot juice. Stay hydrated. Drink seven to eight glasses of water daily. Avoid stress or physical exertion and mental stress. Avoid crash diet. Avoid smoking and drinking.

|