Q. Is it normal to have a high-pitched sound when you move the jaw up and down?

Dr. Abhinav Raj Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 22, 2021

I have high-pitched sound while moving my jaw up and down on eating, yawning, turning my head sideways to the affected side, and grinding my teeth. I have fullness in my ears while the jaw is motionless. I have these symptoms for more than six months. I consulted a doctor and thought that it was due to a jaw joint. I do not have pain or soreness. He advised me to consult a stomatologist. But he did not think of it as a Eustachian tube block. I have done an X-ray before few months and there is forward positioning of the left mandibular condyle in the most pronounced point of the temporal condyle. I went to the stomatologist before two days. He told me it as costen syndrome. He told me that my two sides of my mouth are uneven while biting and he chipped three teeth present on the right side to balance it as the sounds were coming from the left ear. He told me to come back after three weeks to see whether the mouth has become even and my symptoms in the ears have disappeared. He told me that I will need a nightguard temporarily. Will my symptoms of high-pitched sound while moving my jaw up and down and fullness in my ears would disappear?

#

Yes, your symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) clicking will disappear soon by following proper treatment. So do not be worried. You have consulted a stomatologist and he advised you to have a nightguard. I suggest you go for an acrylic repositioning splint. If there is no relief, then you can go for orthodontic treatment. For having a precise treatment option, you need to send pictures of the upper and lower arch in front view, right view, and left view while teeth in occlusion and OPG (orthopantomogram). You can take tablet Flexon MR (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone) twice a day for five days.

You seem to have premature occlusal contact.

You need to take a picture of the upper arch and lower arch in front view, right view, and left view while the teeth in occlusion and OPG (orthopantomogram).

I do not have any pain around the jaw joint. But I feel uncomfortable due to fullness or pressure present in my ears and the high-pitched sound produced while moving the jaw up and down. The stomatologist told me that he can see some grinding on my teeth. He is not willing to repair it as too much transformation can cause a lot of pain. Is it normal to have a high-pitched sound while moving my jaw up and down on eating with pressure in my ears for more than six months? Will it disappear without taking treatment?

#

No, this kind of problem will not disappear on its own. You need treatment definitely using TMJ repositioning splint. Then orthodontic treatment can be taken and it will surely help you. But it takes around six months to a year to resolve the symptoms. Taking physiotherapy can help you. Do the investigations as soon as possible and consult an orthodontist.

The stomatologist told me that my bite is uneven and so he chipped three teeth present on the right side to balance it. I also had sound coming from my left ear. I can understand that I need to start wearing splint after consulting my stomatologist. My sound gets increased while grinding and while turning my head to the left side. Is this normal?

#

Your stomatologist has chipped three teeth present on the right side to balance the uneven bite. This is a wrong option. This does not get resolved by doing any tooth grinding procedure. For balancing, using repositional splint and taking Flexon MR can help you. Then occlusal contact should be checked using bite registration. Then proper occlusal contact should be established with orthodontic and prosthodontic treatment. Kindly send your investigations and pictures to guide you further.

|