Q. The left side of TMJ is getting inflamed and is pushing on the inside of my ear. What to do?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I have a TMJ disorder. I am wondering about my frequent inflammation caused in the left side of TMJ. It gets pushed inside my ears. I can feel or hear the cracking wet noise when I push my jaw forward or a painful pushing feeling is felt inside my ears when I clench my teeth. I started to have this yesterday and it is better now after sleeping. But still, it is bothering me, and cracking or pushing sound is still there.

#

For TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction, you can follow this advice. Have hot compresses for five to ten minutes every three hours daily. Take tablet Mobizox (Chlorzoxazone with Diclofenac and Paracetamol) one tablet twice a day for a week. Try to chew on the opposite side. Try to have a soft diet for the next two weeks. Do not open your mouth too wide while yawning or eating. Do not try to clench your teeth or move your jaw on side as it can worsen the problem. Spasm in the muscles around the joint is the main reason behind this probable dysfunction. It takes around four weeks to get back to normal. But it depends on the precautionary measures followed.

|