Q. What is the reason for pain following a plantar fascia release surgery?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Jun 30, 2016

I had plantar fascia release surgery three months ago and my doctor released me to work even though I was supposed to get one more x-ray. After getting the second X-ray, he said the x-ray looks good. But, still I am in a lot of pain. Also, the pain has spread to the outside of my foot along with the area of all the joints especially over the last three. Should I get a second opinion?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• No, you do not need a second opinion.
  • The surgery is done, but you still have some tenosynovitis of the other tendons, which has to come down.
  • Also, it is very likely that you have a flat foot due to the tenosynovitis of the posterior tibialis tendon.
  • So, I suggest you the following treatment. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
  1. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily in the morning and night after food for 10 days.
  2. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg twice daily in the morning and night after food for 10 days.
  3. Tablet Shelcal CT (calcium) 500 mg, one tablet at night before food for 30 days.
  4. Wear a total plantar arch support for flat foot.
  5. Use a crepe bandage 6 inches throughout the day from the toes to the mid-leg area.
  6. You need to do wobble board exercises, once the pain settles down and also sand walking exercises.
  7. Calf stretching exercises need to start twice daily for 15 minutes each.
  8. Use silicon heels or buy the arch support with silicon heels, which will reduce the pain and swelling of the heel.
  9. Dip your feet in cold water twice daily.
  10. Use Dolonex ointment (Piroxicam) for local application twice daily.
  • These measures will help you reduce the pain and tenosynovitis. You will get better with this treatment.

Revert back after 10 days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

My lower back hurts a lot. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hurt my lower back assumably while pushing a full set of drawers, around four to five months ago. I was in physiotherapy, but I have been discharged and I am waiting to see a specialist. I have been told that it may be an inflammatory problem. My skin is extremely sensitive in my l...  Read Full »

Apart from anti-inflammatory medicine, what should I do for plantar fasciitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I am having swollen feet despite taking anti-inflammatory medications. Please help.  Read Full »

What could be causing my muscle cramps and heel pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have muscle cramps in the bottom part of my belly or sometimes one one side of the belly since two to three years. I have put on a lot of weight and now have a protruding belly. I am taking Presolar twice a day, Tazloc-H, Modlip 10, Neurobion Forte once a day, and Caldikind sachet...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now