Q. I have a dull pain in my testis after lifting something heavy. What do you advise?

Dr. Pratyush Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I am a 28 year old male. I have a dull pain in my right testicle leading to my abdomen. I believe it started when I lifted something heavy. At the moment, it is a dull pain but, if I feel it, then it is worse. I am currently out of my home country on work and do not want to go to a local hospital as I am concerned about the hospitals here. If you could advise, I would be grateful.

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern regarding a pain in the right testicle after lifting a heavy object.

• It would be helpful to know some more details. Does lifting the scrotum relieve you of the pain? Is there a history of fever?
  • In the case of an acute onset pain, it is advisable to immediately visit a hospital and get a scrotal ultrasound with Doppler done, to rule out testicular torsion, which is a surgical emergency and needs to be managed as early as possible.
  • The other possible causes are epididymitis or orchitis.
  • For pain relief, you may take tablet Paracetamol.

Avoid lifting heavy things for now. Best wishes.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Lifting the scrotum does not really affect the pain much. It has been about five days now since this happened and I am not currently in my home country and would rather not visit a hospital here. If I need to, I could get a flight back. Is there anything that it could be, that is not bad?

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Since it has been five days and the pain seems to be mild with no fever, I suggest you continue taking Paracetamol. It is safe and will help in reducing the pain.
  • The other possibilities could be a muscular pain apart from an epididymitis or orchitis.
  • But, I would suggest that if it persists for long, you go back as quickly as possible and get it checked.

| 

My abdominal pain did not reduce even after taking antibiotics. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Mantoux test is positive. Am I suffering from tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulmonary tuberculosis in my teen age. After a full course of ATT, I was recovered and no findings on sputum and x-ray. Now, I am 30 years old. I have left lower abdomen pain since two to three years. But, it is not severe. The pain is intermittent and often relieved by passing stoo...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now