Q. I have a dull pain in my testis after lifting something heavy. What do you advise?

Dr. Pratyush Kumar
Published on Aug 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I am a 28 year old male. I have a dull pain in my right testicle leading to my abdomen. I believe it started when I lifted something heavy. At the moment, it is a dull pain but, if I feel it, then it is worse. I am currently out of my home country on work and do not want to go to a local hospital as I am concerned about the hospitals here. If you could advise, I would be grateful.

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern regarding a pain in the right testicle after lifting a heavy object.

• It would be helpful to know some more details. Does lifting the scrotum relieve you of the pain? Is there a history of fever?
  • In the case of an acute onset pain, it is advisable to immediately visit a hospital and get a scrotal ultrasound with Doppler done, to rule out testicular torsion, which is a surgical emergency and needs to be managed as early as possible.
  • The other possible causes are epididymitis or orchitis.
  • For pain relief, you may take tablet Paracetamol.

Avoid lifting heavy things for now. Best wishes.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Lifting the scrotum does not really affect the pain much. It has been about five days now since this happened and I am not currently in my home country and would rather not visit a hospital here. If I need to, I could get a flight back. Is there anything that it could be, that is not bad?

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Since it has been five days and the pain seems to be mild with no fever, I suggest you continue taking Paracetamol. It is safe and will help in reducing the pain.
  • The other possibilities could be a muscular pain apart from an epididymitis or orchitis.
  • But, I would suggest that if it persists for long, you go back as quickly as possible and get it checked.

Why has my abdomen pain not reduced even after taking antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Mantoux test is positive. Am I suffering from tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulmonary tuberculosis in my teen age. After a full course of ATT, I was recovered and no findings on sputum and x-ray. Now, I am 30 years old. I have left lower abdomen pain since two to three years. But, it is not severe. The pain is intermittent and often relieved by passing stoo...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now