Q. What causes pain after masturbation in a patient with epididymitis?

I have epididymitis and I am taking Ciprofloxacin for it. I was feeling better but then I masturbated and all the pain is back.

#

How long have you been taking the Ciprofloxacin and at which dose? Are you taking any medications for pain?

I have been taking Advil and Advil PM and it does not help much. I have been taking the Ciprofloxacin since Wednesday 2500 mg tablets a day.

#

Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for at least seven days should be taken for epididymitis, however, the anti-inflammatory medication should be a higher dose. If your kidney numbers are good you should take 800 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day for a week at minimum. If you do not know about your kidney function or if it is abnormal then Acetaminophen 500 mg (two tables) three times a day.

Please avoid alcohol and masturbation. This can irritate your genitourinary system and cause pain. You can also use warm compressions and scrotal support. I would not suggest changing antibiotic coverage but would recommend getting tested for STD’s.

That is helpful advice. I wish my Urologist would communicate a little better. So I have been taking the Ciprofloxacin since we last spoke and it is kind of rough on my stomach and now after I pee, I have a slight irritation in my penis. What could be causing this? Also, the pain in my testicle still pops up now and then. I have had this infection for almost four weeks now, and it is starting to wear on me, mentally.

#

Ciprofloxacin can cause stomach irritation, and it is a well-known side effect. My only concern here is to make sure we are not missing STD (sexually transmitted disease). In young men, epididymitis could be due to a bug that causes UTI which is covered by Ciprofloxacin or by a bug which causes STD which is not covered by Ciprofloxacin.

If possible call him or if you have a Primary Care doctor, then get tested. I hope this information was helpful.

|