Q. What causes pain after masturbation in a patient with epididymitis?

I have epididymitis and I am taking Ciprofloxacin for it. I was feeling better but then I masturbated and all the pain is back.

#

How long have you been taking the Ciprofloxacin and at which dose? Are you taking any medications for pain?

| 

I have been taking Advil and Advil PM and it does not help much. I have been taking the Ciprofloxacin since Wednesday 2500 mg tablets a day.

#

Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for at least seven days should be taken for epididymitis, however, the anti-inflammatory medication should be a higher dose. If your kidney numbers are good you should take 800 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day for a week at minimum. If you do not know about your kidney function or if it is abnormal then Acetaminophen 500 mg (two tables) three times a day.

Please avoid alcohol and masturbation. This can irritate your genitourinary system and cause pain. You can also use warm compressions and scrotal support. I would not suggest changing antibiotic coverage but would recommend getting tested for STD’s.

| 

That is helpful advice. I wish my Urologist would communicate a little better. So I have been taking the Ciprofloxacin since we last spoke and it is kind of rough on my stomach and now after I pee, I have a slight irritation in my penis. What could be causing this? Also, the pain in my testicle still pops up now and then. I have had this infection for almost four weeks now, and it is starting to wear on me, mentally.

#

Ciprofloxacin can cause stomach irritation, and it is a well-known side effect. My only concern here is to make sure we are not missing STD (sexually transmitted disease). In young men, epididymitis could be due to a bug that causes UTI which is covered by Ciprofloxacin or by a bug which causes STD which is not covered by Ciprofloxacin.

If possible call him or if you have a Primary Care doctor, then get tested. I hope this information was helpful.

| 

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »

Should I continue Banocide for a swelling on the testicle?

Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago, I suddenly noticed a grape size swelling on the top of my right testicle. It is not attached to the testis, but above it towards the top of the scrotal sack. I went to a urologist and he asked me to do an USG. The USG showed a thickened right spermatic cord with cystic ...  Read Full »

Why does my testicle hurt after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most pain...  Read Full »