Q. What is the chance of herniated disc L5-S1 causing pain in groin area and testicle?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5-S1 and bulge at L4-L5. I have some lower back pain, but I also have pain in the groin area which seems to move also in the testicle. My question is, could the pain in the groin area and in testicles be caused by this herniated disc?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Well, the pain of L5-S1 disc herniation typically is pain on the backside of the thigh and radiates down to the leg on the outer aspect and to the foot. The nerves of the groin region are more below. But, as in your case, if the disc prolapse is big then it can also compress nerves of the groin region and can cause pain.

Do you have any bladder issues or any numbness in your private parts?

| 

No, the pain in the groin and testicles are not always there. I mean there are days without pain, but some days there is mild to moderate pain that comes and goes. And it is happening now for six months when the back problems started. Can you say that the herniated disc may be connected with the groin and testicle pain? I have also attached my MRI images.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Well, I wrote my answer after completely studying your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is very grateful of you to attach MRI films which help us lot in decision making. Now the question is, how much you are suffering because of this? That will decide the line of treatment. How much it is affecting your quality of life?

| 

It does not affect me that much, but the fact I am 19 years old. I would really like to treat this discomfort and pain in groin, testicles, and back. I know that I will have to work on building core muscles and back muscles, so the disc slides a little back to its place and that the muscles take a bigger role also. I hope that will help, but how much time do you think it will take?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Most of the patients like this improve with conservative management. There are two different things. Back pain and radicular pain in your groin region.

For your back pain, you need to improve on your posture, do back strengthening exercises, and general conditioning exercises like walking, running, swimming, dancing, or any games. Start with walking for 45 mins at a stretch daily. Gradually you can shift to running and then any game. This you have to include in your lifestyle if you want to avoid such a problem because you have a tendency for disc herniation.

For radicular pain, I can prescribe you medications. You have to keep in mind about red flags symptoms like change in bladder habits and weakness in lower limbs. In such a case, only surgery is the answer. Do not get scared, only 1% of people develop these red flag symptoms. So this problem is there with you for the last six months. So kindly brief me what all medications and treatment you have tried so that I can prescribe you better medications.

| 

I did not have any medication or anything else for my problems yet so far, but I would really like to solve the problem of radicular pain to groin and testicles.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Then start capsule Pregabalin 75 mg at night. Along with that take tablet Methylcobalamin 1500 mcg one tablet daily, Tramadol 50 mg SOS (whenever pain is unbearable).

I have mentioned the generic name. You can check the brand names available in your country on the internet. We need to modify the dose of Pregabalin according to the response.

| 

I have a great deal of pain due to L5-S1 disc hernia. How to get over it?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from an L5-S1 disc hernia, with pressure on the S1 root. I also have a partial tear in the right hip labrum. My surgeon is not sure which one is the cause of leg pain which starts at the low back and ends at the back of my feet. I suffer from a great deal of pain and would real...  Read Full »

What would be the treatment for disc slip?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with L5-S1 16 mm disc slip. I have tried Hydrocortisone injection eight days ago which has done nothing. I have been passed between GP and orthopedic surgeon and now I have to try physio. I have lower back pain that radiates to both legs and also have a lot of leg...  Read Full »

Please suggest some treatment for testicular pain.

Query: Hello doctor, About a week ago, I started feeling some dull ache in my right testicle and the scrotum area. The pain radiates to my right leg also like cramps. It is like sore scrotum. The pain usually comes and goes, especially during riding bike, sitting in office and laying down on my sides. I do...  Read Full »

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now