Q. I have mild cold with something stuck in throat and swallowing difficulty. What could cause this?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 25, 2020

I have had a mild cold symptoms over three weeks ago. Because of this global pandemic I got stressed and started feeling chest pain and abdominal muscle pain, etc. I did not have a fever, like not a single day. So I know that chest pain can occur due to stress and anxiety and to make myself feel better I went to the doctor's office so my doctor can listen to me breathing with a stethoscope. She said that my lungs are totally clear and that there is no strange noises. She said that I should take vitamin B and I was diagnosed with oral candidiasis. Now I am feeling a sort of bubbly feeling at the top of my chest and in my throat but only when I lay in bed and I feel like there is something stuck in my throat and I have a bit of discomfort when swallowing. So if my doctor said that my lungs are fine, what can it be?

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

Most common symptoms of Covid-19 are fever, cough, and dyspnea. You mentioned you do not have fever, cough nor dyspnea so it is least likely you have Covid-19. Moreso, your lungs were clear. However, since we are in a pandemic, observation and self-quarantine is still advised.

Yous symptoms of lump sensation in the throat and difficulty in swallowing may be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Stress may have triggered it. I recommend you take Omeprazole 40 mg one tablet for two to four weeks. Avoid eating spicy, oily, fatty, and dairy foods. Avoid drinking alcohol, carbonated, caffeinated drinks. Avoid smoking and avoid lying down within an hour after eating.

| 

What can cause frequent throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?  Read Full »

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Will Sinarest help in throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat and unable to speak. I have started Augmentin 625 since yesterday with no relief so far.  Read Full »