Q. What can I do to stop this severe throat pain?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

I have been having throat pain since a few days which comes and goes. Today evening I had eaten some salted pistachio and salted and fried cashews and suddenly I have lot of pain in my throat. I cannot even swallow anything. I did betadine gargles, still no effect. What can I do to stop this pain? No fever or cough or runny nose.

#

I understand your concern. You may be suffering from:

1. Pharyngeal ulcer.
  2. Pharyngitis acute.

As there is no fever, the chance of pharyngitis is less.Before taking treatment it is necessary to do some investigations to establish the diagnosis.

I suggest the following investigations:

1. Blood - complete blood count, blood sugar (fasting and postprandial), serum creatinine, SGPT.
  2. Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.

Till the report comes I suggest you take:

1. Tablet Lidocaine (chewable tablet to give immediate relief from the agony of pain).
  2. Use antiseptic mouthwash.
  3. Steroids orally.
  4. Local application of drugs having antibiotic, antifungal, analgesic.
  5. Antacids.
  6. Antibiotics as per directive incited in culture and sensitivity report of throat swab.

Consult your specialist doctor discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I am pre-diabetic and take Metformin. I also have little high SGPT at 85. I took Amoxicillin today. What can I take for pain? Should I continue with above medicines now? Tomorrow I shall show to a local doctor here.

#

You are taking a good antibiotic. You should continue it for pain. You may take tablet Ultracet (Tramadol) twice daily along with tablet Lidocaine. Tablet Ultracet is a systemic analgesic while tablet Lidocaine is a local analgesic. It gives immediate relief as soon as you chew this tablet.

If Lidocaine is not available there than you may use Zytee lotion (Choline Salicylate Topical) for gargling to get immediate relief from pain. Method - put 10 drops of Zytee lotion in half a cup of plain water and gargle it.

|