Q. What causes tightness, a burning sensation, difficulty swallowing, and dryness around the throat?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I feel tightness around my throat, and I have difficulty swallowing, throat dryness, and a burning sensation. What to do?

#

I have read your query, and I am sorry for such acute discomfort you are having.

1) For how long have you had the above symptoms?

2) Is it associated with mild fever?

3) Do you mean a burning sensation in the throat or soreness of the throat?

4) Any dry cough present?

5) Any symptoms of a runny nose?

6) Do you have any associated headaches?

I am a little confused about the burning sensation because it happens most commonly due to the reflux of gastric acidity. If there is any soreness of the throat, it would probably be due to a common cold or upper respiratory tract infection. In standard cold or acute pharyngitis, there is soreness of the throat and not a burning sensation, so I am trying to distinguish the symptoms you mentioned.

I would suggest the following:

1. Take a tablet of Paracetamol 500 mg once or twice a day if there is any pain or soreness of the throat or associated headache.

2. Do lukewarm water gargle 2 to 3 times a day.

3. Take gas medication tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day on an empty stomach if there is any reflux acidity and gastric discomfort due to gas.

4. If symptoms point towards acute pharyngitis due to a common cold, you may consider taking an antibiotic after five days if it does not clear away with the above measures.

5. Avoid cold food or water intake.

6. Maintain adequate hydration by taking normal water.

Please reply to the above questions to guide you better.

Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

I am answering your questions accordingly and adding the necessary information.

1) I do not have any fever.

2) I have a burning sensation that is subsiding with burping.

3) I do not have a dry cough.

4) I do not have a runny nose.

5) There are no symptoms of cold and headache.

I had suffered from stroke four months back and was bedridden with minimal mobility since then. I am already taking Pantocid DSR.

#

I am very sorry to read that you had stroke four months back. I hope it was mild and you are recovering under the guidance of your doctor. I pray for improvement and return of the body functions in the upcoming days.

It is not acute pharyngitis. I hope you are able to eat correctly. It is due to gastric reflux, probably because burping relieves the burning sensation. You may take frequent sips of water to prevent drying up of the throat and gas medication as instructed. Since I do not know other details of the present problem, you should consult your primary doctor to get relief from the above symptoms if the issue is very concerning.

I wish you an early recovery.

|