Q. What is the treatment for Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

I am suffering from Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis disease and it is chronic. My father has glaucoma. I have been using steroid eye drop. They are Fluorometholone ophthalmic suspension and Restasis eye drop. I have been having this eye problem since about two years. I am attaching my detailed description. Please help me.

#

• The proposed treatment for TSPK-  Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis remains artificial tears and topical corticosteroids, which you are using, topical Cyclosporine (Restasis) and soft contact lenses if required.
  • The improvement and success of these treatments depend upon the severity of the disease; you appear to be relatively less severe. The long-term visual prognosis is excellent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • I would highly suggest periodic ophthalmic dilated eye examinations and eye pressure check to recognize the early diagnosis of cataract and glaucoma.
  • I would suggest trying to taper of the topical steroid if you can then try the Restasis alone. If you are able to tolerate it, then would be the best solution.
  • I would not suggest any surgical interventions on your eyes.

For further information consult to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|