Q. What is the treatment for Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am suffering from Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis disease and it is chronic. My father has glaucoma. I have been using steroid eye drop. They are Fluorometholone ophthalmic suspension and Restasis eye drop. I have been having this eye problem since about two years. I am attaching my detailed description. Please help me.



Welcome to

  • The proposed treatment for TSPK- Thygeson's superficial punctate keratitis remains artificial tears and topical corticosteroids, which you are using, topical Cyclosporine (Restasis) and soft contact lenses if required.
  • The improvement and success of these treatments depend upon the severity of the disease; you appear to be relatively less severe. The long-term visual prognosis is excellent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • I would highly suggest periodic ophthalmic dilated eye examinations and eye pressure check to recognize the early diagnosis of cataract and glaucoma.
  • I would suggest trying to taper of the topical steroid if you can then try the Restasis alone. If you are able to tolerate it, then would be the best solution.
  • I would not suggest any surgical interventions on your eyes.

For further information consult to an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it advisable to take Deflazacort and Hydroxyzine HCl for hives during pregnancy?

.. corticosteroids and can be used as per need but can interact with diabetic medications and will act as an anti-inflammatory and can give side effects like weight gain, mood variations, vomitings, etc. Hydroxyzine is antihistamine and can be used b...   Read full

What is the treatment done for ocular rosacea, blepharitis, and MGD?

I am a contact lens wearer with extremely bad eyesight and first had eye problems eight months back ... My eyes were stinging and crying and red and I could not bear to put contacts in ... A ...   Read full

Should I continue FML more than a week for viral conjunctivitis?

These include anti-inflammatories like NSAID drops (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops), Cyclosporine drops and antihistamine drops ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.