Q. Should I continue FML more than a week for viral conjunctivitis?

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had viral conjunctivitis a month ago. I was on FML for one week and after which, my eye got normal. I was asked to taper the dose and stop FML in three weeks by my doctor. I did so, but as soon as I stopped it my eyes started to redden again. My doctor said it was an allergy. I am on an antihistamine now, but the allergy alternates in flaring up and waning rapidly with an antihistamine. Is it all because I stopped FML? Should I continue FML?

#

• Sometimes, episodes of redness can be anticipated after tapering steroids (FML - Fluorometholone). However, we do not have advice steroids for a prolonged time due to its side effect profile.
  • Use of steroid sparing agents is advocated. These include anti-inflammatories like NSAID drops (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops), Cyclosporine drops and antihistamine drops.
  • Kindly consult your ophthalmologist again to see if any add-on medications are necessary. Your doctor may also start FML for a brief time. Please, do not self-medicate.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|