Q. Is there a natural way to reduce the chance of surgery for thyroid nodules?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 41 year old male. My weight is 89 kg and height is 6 feet. I have nodules in the thyroid gland since last two years. Initially, it started as a feeling of imbalance in the head about two years back. The initial assumption was vertigo and later it was found to be a small nodule in the left lobe. The blood test performed about one and half years ago revealed T3 104 ng/dL, T4 6.60 ug/dL and TSH 0.04 mU/L. The blood test performed about a year ago revealed a TSH of 68 mU/L. The blood test performed 10 months back showed T3 108.8 ng/dL, T4 7.2 ug/dL, TSH 0.73 mU/L, cholesterol 196 mg/dL and blood pressure 90/130 mmHg. The blood test performed about two weeks ago showed T3 128.5 ng/dL, T4 8.8 ug/dL, TSH 0.73 mU/L, blood pressure 100/140 mmHg, cholesterol  96 mg/dL, cholesterol serum 235 mg/dL, triglycerides 193 mg/dL, LDL 143 mg/dL, HDL 53 mg/dL, VLDL 39 mg/dL and FBS plasma 96 mg/dL. The present signs and symptoms include trembling hands, high tension, anxiety, weight gain, blood pressure, kind of numbness in head and a type of balance missing (not giddiness). Currently, I am not taking any medicines. I wanted to know whether my problem is hyper or hypothyroidism. Should I need to do FNAC again? As the nodules are increasing, should I start taking iodine food supplement? I have read both to avoid iodine supplement and to take it (case to case). Whether the iodine supplements will help to reduce nodules? Is there any natural way to reduce the chance of surgery? Are there any diet control suggestions for the condition? Is there any detailed specialist checkup needed? I am also attaching the previous four USG reports, biopsy report and HRCT of temporal bones. Please help me.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

•  Basically, your scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are showing that you have thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid gland) along with a nodule in the thyroid gland. Because of this problem you are having the symptoms.
  • Initially, you had hyperthyroidism due to thyroiditis as your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was low, but eventually, from hyperthyroid, you became normal thyroid as your TSH has normalized.
  • Instead of going for a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) again, I recommend you to get an iodine scan done for your thyroid. If that shows any problem, then you may have to get FNAC of nodule again.
  • Most of the food contains iodine and so there is no need for a special diet. But, anyhow you will be given an iodine pill before doing the iodine scan. 

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Presently, the doctor advised me to avoid tapioca and cabbage. Are there any other food items harmful to me? In your view, is surgery the only option to get rid of this problem? After surgery, what are the chances for new nodules formation?

Dr. Divakara P

#

• Avoid cauliflower and spinach also.
  • At this point, we cannot decide whether you need surgery or not. Only after the scan and if needed after a repeat FNAC it can be said with surety.
  • Radioiodine therapy is an option other than surgery.
  • If surgery is done, then the chance of a repeat nodule is less, but there is a possibility.

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

What can cause weight gain, sweating and tiredness?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I ordered thyrocare test. The test report shows total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 117 ng/dL, total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 10.9 µg/dL, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 9.04 µIU/mL, FT3 - 3.03, FT4 - 1.08 and anti-microsomal antibody (AMA) - 315. My BP is 145/90 mmHg. I have s...  Read Full »

Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking. Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy. Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium). Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now