Q. I have dry skin, brittle nails, hair fall and brain fog. Are these due to thyroid problem?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 09, 2019

I am a 36-year-old female. I am inquiring about thyroid issues. I am constantly exhausted (even when I do actually sleep). I cannot seem to lose weight even though I am more active and eat better than ever. I have dry skin, nails are brittle and some ridges, my hair is coming out by the handfuls, foggy brain and memory. My doctor did a thyroid test and these are my results.

Thyroid peroxidase autoaby - 12.2

TSH - .70

Free-T4 - .9

Free-T3 - 3.1.

She also checked my iron levels, Ferritin - 26.

She has advised me that I am in the normal range and my issue is depression and I need to exercise more. She has prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg. I understand that according to the ranges listed on the results I do fall within normal, but I seem to be on the very low end of the range. Is it possible that my thyroid is causing my issues even though they are in the normal range? Would it be worth getting a second opinion from an endocrinologist?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your symptoms very well fit into thyroid problems but if the thyroid reports are normal (even if it is in the low normal range) it excludes thyroid diseases. One thing that you can do is to repeat TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) test after two months. But also get tested for adrenal problems by doing serum cortisol levels in the morning and evening samples.

Depression could be the only cause in your case and with continued usage of Wellbutrin (Bupropion) you may notice improvement, but do get these tests and revert back.

| 

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full »

My TSH levels was normal before five months and it is quite high now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Before five years, I was tested for thyroid. The result was TSH at 3.45. Five months later, my symptoms were getting worse, and my doctor rechecked me after five months TSH was 7.40, and free T4 was 0.9. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain my weight gain, hair los...  Read Full »

My bp is 100/60 and TSH level is 0.022, I am feeling alone and depressed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have 100/60 blood pressure, and I feel less active. My TSH level is 0.022, and I am feeling alone and depressed, but I am getting sleep. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now