Q. My thyroid ultrasound results are suggestive of Hashimoto's. Kindly advice.

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid. Results are right labor 0.8 × 2.9 ×2.0 and left lobe 3.0 × 2.8 × 5.7. The texture is extremely heterogeneous throughout. They said some Hashimoto's. Can you tell me what this means? It has grown in two years (mostly left lobe). It is going to be another month before I see a doctor and not sure when I will see an endocrinologist. Please help.

Do you have a question on Thyroid or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Divakara P

M.B.B.S., M.D
Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Your one lobe is larger than other. It could be a simple overgrowth or a tumor. To differentiate between these and to tell exactly what is the problem in your thyroid gland, you need to get a test called FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of thyroid or radioactive iodine uptake scan. Once you meet your doctor ask for these tests. Hashimoto's is one of the diseases where the patient initially will be hyperthyroid and gradually become hypothyroid, but in your case, you do not give any history of being hyperthyroid. So Hashimoto disease is less likely. Kindly get the tests recommended and revert with reports.

Hypothyroidism.

Shall I restart Cymbalta for my extreme depersonalization feel?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old man. I have been experiencing panic disorder, OCD symptoms and excessive levels of anxiety. In the last few months, major changes in my life have happened. For instance; quitting my job and moving to another city triggered my anxiety symptoms. I usually feel drowned in ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for describing your query in detail. To start with, you might be absolutely right in saying that the current increase in your anxiety and associated feelings could be secondary to the change of place. Change of residence and workplace is always an anxiety-provok...  Read Full

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full >>
Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks a lot for such a detailed history, it makes my job easier. I would want to know what was the result of the biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Based on that, I shall be in a better position to tell you the next step. Your thyroid is functioning to i...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now