Q. My wife was advised to take thyroid medicines during pregnancy. Is there a problem?

Dr. Swaraj S W
Published on Oct 03, 2017

My wife is five months pregnant. We had done a TSH level test in the second month. It showed 8.8. Then the gynecologist put her on 50 mcg Thyronorm tablets. Yesterday we went for a check-up. She ordered a thyroid profile test as well as a TIFFA scan. Is there any problem? I am uploading today's thyroid profile reports.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• I have seen her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The medicines were required and hence she was started on those. That was the right thing to do. Continue to take the same dose.
  • Repeat the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormones) and FT4 after a month on an empty stomach.

There is no need to panic.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now