Q. Does tinea cruris go away by itself?

Dr. Dilip Meena

I have itchy lesions on both legs (one on each), red with mild pain for two years. Some say it is fungal, and some doctors say it is a viral infection. Kindly provide me with an accurate diagnosis and treatment (with dose and frequency). Also, suggest if I should get any tests done. I have attached the photos of the lesions. Kindly find the attachments. I do not have sugar, blood pressure, thyroid, and never had chickenpox also. I also do not have any other symptoms apart from itching, mild pain with the attached rash.

#

I understand your concern. The condition you have is known as tinea cruris or corporis (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), which a type of superficial fungal skin infection. Take the following medications for two weeks and then follow back:

1. Capsule Canditral (Itraconazole) 100 mg twice a day after meals.

2. Tablet Levosiz (Levocetirizine) 5 mg once at night after meal.

3. Cream Lulifin (Luliconazole) apply once at night.

4. Ketoconazole soap.

Few doctor had diagnosed herpes. But let me also state that I have already used Itraconazole and lesions keep coming back again. Any other treatment option, sir?

#

It is certainly not herpes. It is tinea only. There are several reasons these lesions keep coming now more than ever. The use of over-the-counter medications containing topical steroids is one of them. Also, if anyone else in the family has a similar problem, their treatment is also necessary. Try to keep your towel and soap separate. Also, wash your undergarments in hot water and sundry, and before using them, iron them from both sides. Itraconazole (Sporanox) is the drug of choice, so follow these precautions, take medications and then follow up after two weeks. You might need to take Itraconazole for 4 to 6 weeks, and the creams a bit longer than that. Avoid alcohol while you are on medications.

|