Q. Please help with my recurrent fungal infection.

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am getting itching in the area where I wear my undergarments. I tried many medicines for fungal infection, but it does not go away. It has been there for more than a year. It keeps recurring. Currently, I am applying Miconazole cream and Clotrimazole powder. Please help.

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

With your given description, it looks like resistant tinea cruris infections or may be erythrasma (skin condition affecting the folds in the body),

You have not mentioned the duration of individual drugs you have taken.

Itraconazole is a good drug for this, but you have to take 100 mg daily for around 28 days. Along with this you can try Sertaconazole cream with Fusidic acid cream to cover erythrasma twice daily for minimum of three months.

Follow certain general measures such as:

  1. Avoid heat, moisture and maceration (softening by soaking).
  2. Dry the body folds, finger and toe webs thoroughly after bathing.

The Probable causes:

May be not taken full duration of the course of medicines for fungal infection.

Investigations to be done:

1. Blood sugar.
2. Skin scraping for KOH (Potassium hydroxide).

Differential diagnosis:

1. Tinea cruris.
2. Erythrasma.
3. Candidal dermatitis.

Probable diagnosis:

Recalcitrant tinea cruris.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after the tests to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have hard lumps on my scalp that are red and white. What could they be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have these red and white hard lumps on my scalp. Some are not lumpy but, are just marks. Can you tell me what they are and how to get rid of them? I have dandruff as well.  Read Full »

What causes of a pink spot on testicles?

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed for some time now that the skin in my groin area looks gray and when I looked close, I saw that my skin was peeling and there were a few pink spots. And my scrotum began to itch. I assumed it was a jock itch. So, two days ago, I purchased Lotrimin Ultra and applied it in my g...  Read Full »

How to Cure Candidial Balanitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old male. I have itching on the head of the penis and the foreskin. It started about 3-4 days back. But now it seems that I have symptoms of balanitis. I found white substance under the foreskin. There is also some minor tear which make it difficult for me to move my foresk...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.