Q. Do you have any suggestion for vision-related tinnitus?

Dr. David J Mathew
Published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have vision-related tinnitus. I have been nearsighted for a while. Approximately, three months ago, I went to see a speaker, sat in the back and ended up looking at him out-of-focus for an hour. The next day, my ears started ringing. Looking at my computer tends to make it louder. I have special blue light blocking computer glasses. I got polarized yellow clip to use at night, in addition to three screens over my computer as well as a couple programs to warm the screen's color temperature. But, I am still experiencing elevated ringing. My audiology test revealed a slight hearing loss in left ear, but nothing that would have brought on sudden tinnitus. I am currently on Nortriptyline to aid sleep. I have an appointment to see an ophthalmologist. I am searching for any immediate help possible. Do you like to give any suggestions for a particular polarized shade for to clip on or use over my prescription specs?

Dr. David J Mathew

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

From what you have described, you have tinnitus that gets exacerbated on looking at the computer screen.

There is no established connection between looking at a bright object and worsening of tinnitus, though there may be isolated reports. Tinnitus is usually caused due to an inner ear problem.

In my opinion, you should seek an ENT consultation instead of an eye checkup as your main problem is tinnitus.

• There have been reports of tinnitus developing in patients using antidepressants (Nortriptyline). That may very well be the cause in your case.

An ENT consultation will help you find out the real cause for your tinnitus.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for the additional information. The tone is lowest in the morning. I am getting it severely when I did not sleep well. I am going to try different colored tints to see if that helps.

Dr. David J Mathew

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• If the ringing is aggravated by a particular color, then you can try different tints to see which one works best for you. Tints work by blocking specific colors from passing through.
  • Since the tone is lowest in the morning, it may get relieved on taking rest. You can take breaks in between your computer work. Close your eyes for 10 to 15 seconds every 15 minutes. Also, blink frequently and voluntarily.
  • If possible, plan a power nap in the afternoon too.

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full »

Is it normal to hear a little sound in a closed room?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed that when I am alone in a closed room or studying, I hear some sound. My father used to say this is because of wax in the ear, but when my ears are clean, I still hear the sound. I am sure that my hearing is fine. Could this be the sound of blood circulation? Is it n...  Read Full »