Q. Do you have any suggestion for vision-related tinnitus?

Answered by
Dr. David J Mathew
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 20, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have vision-related tinnitus. I have been nearsighted for a while. Approximately, three months ago, I went to see a speaker, sat in the back and ended up looking at him out-of-focus for an hour. The next day, my ears started ringing. Looking at my computer tends to make it louder. I have special blue light blocking computer glasses. I got polarized yellow clip to use at night, in addition to three screens over my computer as well as a couple programs to warm the screen's color temperature. But, I am still experiencing elevated ringing. My audiology test revealed a slight hearing loss in left ear, but nothing that would have brought on sudden tinnitus. I am currently on Nortriptyline to aid sleep. I have an appointment to see an ophthalmologist. I am searching for any immediate help possible. Do you like to give any suggestions for a particular polarized shade for to clip on or use over my prescription specs?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

From what you have described, you have tinnitus that gets exacerbated on looking at the computer screen.

There is no established connection between looking at a bright object and worsening of tinnitus, though there may be isolated reports. Tinnitus is usually caused due to an inner ear problem.

In my opinion, you should seek an ENT consultation instead of an eye checkup as your main problem is tinnitus.

  • There have been reports of tinnitus developing in patients using antidepressants (Nortriptyline). That may very well be the cause in your case.
  • Other usual precipitants of tinnitus are loud noise, ease infection and trauma. Did you have any of these? Do you also have vertigo (Meniere's disease)?

An ENT consultation will help you find out the real cause for your tinnitus.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the additional information. The tone is lowest in the morning. I am getting it severely when I did not sleep well. I am going to try different colored tints to see if that helps.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • If the ringing is aggravated by a particular color, then you can try different tints to see which one works best for you. Tints work by blocking specific colors from passing through.
  • Since the tone is lowest in the morning, it may get relieved on taking rest. You can take breaks in between your computer work. Close your eyes for 10 to 15 seconds every 15 minutes. Also, blink frequently and voluntarily.
  • If possible, plan a power nap in the afternoon too.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

She is very deaf now and finds it difficult to wear her hearing aids as she has a perforated ear ... The hearing loss is due to age-related sensory neural ...   Read full

I have tinnitus in one ear more than the other. Could this mean I am slowly losing my hearing?

.. different causes of tinnitus (ringing in ears) like infections, loss of cells, inflammation, advancing age, or few other diseases of the inner ear. At your age, hearing loss is less common unless having a disease. There are two possibilities:The e...   Read full

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Thank you doctor, Can this be related to anxiety ... Yes, it can be anxiety-related also if an ENT specialist says that everything is fine ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»
I am experiencing abdominal bloating and severe acidity. Are these side effects of antibiotics?
Hello doctor, I have been experiencing bloating and acidity during the menopause years. After experiencing a burning se...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.