Q. I have tinnitus in one ear more than the other. Could this mean I am slowly losing my hearing?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2020
Please give me a meaningful response as i cant aford to reply and i am scared that i am slowly losing my hearing or something. I have had tinnitus in my ears for about 7 months now and it sounds kind of like T.V. static and its not loud so its okay, but today my phone emited a very high pitch sound and i closed one ear and then opened it and closed the other ear and noticed that i could hear the high pitch sound much better in one ear then the other. Could this mean im slowly losing my hearing. About months ago i got a hearing test done, but i dont have the results, but they said my hearing was amazing. Even now i have no trouble hearing at all. So what is happeing with the high pitch noise. Why can i hear it better in one ear then the other?
#

Hi. Welcome to Icliniq.

There are different causes of Tinnitis (ringing in ears) like Infections, loss of cells, inflammation, advancing age or few other diseases of inner ear. At your age hearing loss is less common unless having a disease. there are two possibilities

1. Ear which hears high pitch is affected (hyperacusis= hearing loud or tinnitis)
  2. Ear which hears low that is affected (decreases hearing)

So, to two differentiate which ear is abnormal few test are done by Audiometerist/ENT specialist to make final diagnosis. i would suggest you to get examined by an ENT specialist and he will perform necessary test and manage appropriately.

You are welcome for any further queries. Have a blessed day. GOD BLESS YOU

| 

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»