Q. I have tinnitus for seven months, and no medicines are working. Please help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

I have tinnitus for seven months. I consulted a doctor and he advised me to do some tests. I had a positive result for my hearing test. I took Vastarel, Fluxina, and Borila. But it did not help me. I heard the noise in a constant pinch tone.

#

In your case, tinnitus can occur due to two different reasons. The reasons are hyperfiring from nerves and chronic eustachian tube catarrh. In the first condition, there is unregulated hyperfiring of nerves. It affects the perception of persisting sound in ears without an outside stimulus. The other cause is eustachian tube catarrh. There is a block in ventilation pathways connecting the nose and ear. This causes a negative pressure in the middle ear causing symptoms. Eustachian tube dysfunction can occur due to nasal allergy or any inflammation. You can follow these measures.

You can use Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate with Azelastine) two puffs two times a day in both nostrils for three months. Do not inhale while spraying the drug. You can take tablet Sinarest (Chlorpheniramine maleate with Paracetamol and Phenylephrine) two times a day after food for 15 days. You can take tablet Allegra M (Montelukast with Fexofenadine) two times a day after food for 15 days. Stay away from dust. You can wear an N95 mask. It takes around two to three months to get resolved if the cause is due to a eustachian tube.

|