Q. I shot off a gun near my ear without ear protection. Will I develop permanent tinnitus?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I shot off my brother's gun ten times with rapid successions without ear protection. I have been having a ringing sound in my head and left ear for a week now. Initially, I experienced a lot of ringing sounds and a swollen ear. The ringing sound weared off over the next two days but is still there. My current medications are turmeric and curcumin. I do not want to develop permanent tinnitus from this simple mistake. I want to know there is permanent damage. Please help me out.

#

Exposure to any loud sound causes some temporary threshold shift as far as hearing is concerned and might be associated with tinnitus. It usually takes around three to four days for this ringing sound to disappear, or it might take even a week in some cases. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common scenario we come across. If tinnitus is present in the same intensity after three weeks and if there has been no improvement, it is advisable to evaluate your hearing with pure tone audiometry. This should slowly resolve with time to come and is very unlikely to be a permanent issue. Please wear appropriate gear while using any ballistic equipment or heavy machinery as a rule for your safety.

Hope this was helpful. Kindly revert for further queries.

Warm regards.

|