Q. Medicines I took for ear fullness are causing tinnitus since a month. Please help me.

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

I was having a severe headache and ear disturbances (fullness). After consultation with an ENT doctor, Augmentin antibiotic and Actifed cold were prescribed for me. In the process of taking the drugs, I started having tinnitus (ringing and buzzing in the ear), which has refused to stop for about a month and two weeks now. It is very disturbing, even more than the previous ear fullness. I find it difficult to concentrate. Since then, happiness has eluded me. I need a medical advice. So, please help me.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Please let me know the following:

1. Whether your problem is with one ear or both the ears.
  2. Do you have any hearing loss, vertigo, or ear discharge?
  3. Was any hearing test done?
  4. Is there any history of cough and cold before the ear problem?
  5. Is there any history of acidity or smoking?

Please revert with these answers, so that I can help you better. Please attach your prescription as well.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

The answers to the questions are as follows. The ear fullness started with only the left ear and later extended to the right one, but it is mostly in the left ear. No hearing loss was experienced thus far. Sometimes I have tiredness, especially when talking or chewing food. I do have ear fullness, sometimes in one ear and at times in both, especially when exposed to cold. The tinnitus started after taking Augmentin and the Actifed cold, which I stopped half way. No ear discharge was experienced thus far. No hearing test was done at my checkup, but the doctor did examine my ears. I have had cough and cold in some moments, but I do not remember exactly the last time it happened. I used to have stomach ulcer if that is what you mean by acidity, but there is no history of smoking. Also, I have no written prescription, but the doctor said it was an inflammation. He prescribed Augmentin 1 g, Actifed cold, and a blood capsule but because of the tinnitus, I could not complete the doses. When I complained of the tinnitus, the doctor prescribed SERC 8 which I stopped as well because it did not solve the problem. To add to the symptom of ear disturbances, are a constant headache, most times only on the left side of the head.

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I can figure out that your ear problems are because of middle ear pathology.

I suggest the following:

1. Take tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) one tablet at bedtime.
  2. Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) one tablet on an empty stomach.
  3. Otrivin (Xylometazoline) nasal drops two drops in each nostril thrice a day.
  4. Continue tablet SERC (Betahistine Dihydrochloride) 8 mg three times a day.
  5. Take steam inhalation at least three to four times a day.
  6. Avoid cold food, ice creams, and soft drinks for some time.
  7. Do gentle Valsalva five to six times a day, only if you do not have a earache.
  8. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the tablets with their consent. Do these things for five days.
  9. If not relieved, you can go for audiogram and impedance audiometry tests. You will definitely benefit.

Be happy always. The body heals faster if you are positive and happy. Feel free to contact me whenever you like.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I need some clarifications regarding your suggestions. Are any of the drugs an antibiotic? Are any of the drugs capable of either increasing or triggering the tinnitus, given my history? Is tinnitus curable or is it a lifelong problem? Is the Otrivin nasal drops to be taken only through the nose or the ear? What do you mean by gentle Valsalva? What do you mean by steam inhalation? From my observation, the tinnitus increases with the intake of any drug. So, I hope none of the drugs has a pronounced side effect like that? I am grateful for your prompt response. Do have a nice day.

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

None of the medicines are antibiotics and none of them cause vertigo.

Tinnitus is not a life long problem. Many a times it is cured. But, sometimes it may persist.

Otrivin is a nasal drop. Do not put it into your ears.

Regarding gentle Valsalva, blow your nose with nose and mouth closed.this will open up your ears with a click sound. Do this gently.

Steam inhalation means inhaling steam vapors from the nose.

Get well soon.

| 

Is surgery the only option for my son's ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has an ear infection since last year. The doctors said there is water in the middle ear, and because of that, he is not able to listen to low pitch voices, like if someone speaks slowly with him. I have reports and all medicines that he has used so far, and I am attaching it wi...  Read Full »

I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do

Query: Hello doctor, I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have ...  Read Full »