Q. I am not able to achieve proper latch and quantity of my breast milk is also low. Please help.

Dr. Vinodhini P

I am not able to achieve proper latch and quantity of my breast milk is also low. Need help for both, please suggest. My baby is 3 weeks old.

#

I would be very glad to help you. Because being a mother of two, I could very well understand your state of mind now. This is a common problem that most of the new mothers face at this point of time. First of all sit back and relax, do not take too much of stress. Because stress is going to affect the quantity and quality of breast milk.

Proper latching is essential for both you and your child to feel comfortable during feeding. First sit in a chair comfortably leaning your back with good support. Lift your baby and hold him near your breast. You can keep pillows below the baby to achieve the height without much weight over your hands. When your baby opens its mouth, You have to put the nipple and the areola around it inside the mouth. Search for breast feeding photos or videos online and you can very well understand it.

Amount of breastmilk secretion depends upon various factors. Important one is demand. If you feed the baby often the whole day today, definitely your secretion will start to increase from the next day as your body will sense the demand and produce more milk. Feed minimum once every 2 hours in the day and once every 3 to 4 hours in the night. Keep hydrated. Drink atleast 3 to 4 litres of water per day as 80 % of breastmilk is water. Take balanced diet. Include lot of vegetables and fruits. Definitely you can produce the quantity of milk your baby needs.

|