Q. How can I treat the white pimple on my tongue?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I am 49 years old and have this white pimple kind of thing on my tongue (left side) since quite some time (more than two months). It is not causing me any symptoms or any discomfort. I also have not noticed any increase in size or any other changes. I do not drink, smoke or use tobacco. Hoping to know what it is and remedies for it.

I am attaching a picture of the same (the spot is circled in blue in the picture attached). Is it anything to worry? I would wish to also know what exactly it is. I have read that it could be tongue cancer. Hence, I am a bit worried. Hoping to find some answers. I do not have any symptoms such as burning, pain, etc. I also had gingivitis in the past two months which has been controlled by the use of Chlorhexidine mouth wash and dental cleaning. I have never used tobacco or smoked. I just wanted to know if it is anything serious. Also, could you suggest ways to get rid of it? Sometimes, I do feel a little pain or sensation but it is very very minor almost unnoticeable. Also, I want to know why it is not going away for some months.

#

Thanks for the proper detailed history and the appropriate clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since you are not a tobacco or alcohol user the chance of oral cancer is ruled out. Now a few types or differential diagnosis are left.

Lie bumps: These are whitish or slight reddish bumps on the tongue that are like 0.5 mm in width. Their cause of occurrence is still under research and they usually go away if you put Chlorhexadineor Metronidazole oral gel on it three times a day for two weeks.

Ulcer: Bumps due to folic acid or vitamin deficiency, or any underlying systemic disease like skin disease of psoriasis, or diabetes, etc. Please tell me if you have any? If this is the case, I would suggest some medicines for it.

Now, I will be waiting for your reply in case of a second option. If you are having only the first option, then start using oral gel for a week. Watch out for the size of the bump. Is it increasing or regressing? Give me its followup picture after three weeks. If it will regress then good otherwise we will change the treatment plan. Stay happy and blessed. Take care.

|