iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNeurologyelectric shockI have muscle twitching after a shock. Please help.

Could a nerve damage cause twitching in the muscle?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 17, 2018
Reviewed AtMay 13, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I received an electrical shock last night. The shock did not hurt, just felt it go up my arm and across my chest. I dropped the probe right when I felt it. No burn marks. Afterward, I was having sharp pain in my chest. I went to the emergency room (ER), doctors did electrocardiogram (EKG), took blood and urine, said everything was good. Yesterday, my left tricep started twitching like crazy. The twitching comes and goes. Could it be possible nerve damage or just something else? They did have an IV in that arm for like four hours.

Answered by Dr. Aida Abaz Quka


Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to an irritated nerve or muscle. For this reason, if the problems persist, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist and performing a nerve conduction study to examine your nerves. Meanwhile, I suggest having some rest and taking painkillers (Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen) and a muscle relaxant like Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) for the pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need. Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
Dr. Aida Abaz Quka


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy