Q. How can I manage sore throat and difficulty in swallowing?

Answered by Dr. Manu Wilfred and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tonsillitis or Sore Throat? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 19-years-old female. I am pretty healthy and have an average weight. I had a sore throat for two days and it is extremely hard to swallow due to swelling to the point I can barely eat solid food. It is not scratchy, and I do not have a cough or fever.

I went to the urgent care, strep was negative but the doctor said it must be strep and would not listen to any of my symptoms. He spent about 30 seconds with me and is treating me with Biaxin. Pain is killing me, and my stomach is having a hard time with these antibiotics even with food.