Q. How can I manage sore throat and difficulty in swallowing?

Dr. Manu Wilfred

I am 19-years-old female. I am pretty healthy and have an average weight. I had a sore throat for two days and it is extremely hard to swallow due to swelling to the point I can barely eat solid food. It is not scratchy, and I do not have a cough or fever.

I went to the urgent care, strep was negative but the doctor said it must be strep and would not listen to any of my symptoms. He spent about 30 seconds with me and is treating me with Biaxin. Pain is killing me, and my stomach is having a hard time with these antibiotics even with food.

#

From the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your diagnosis is acute follicular tonsillitis. Usually, this is caused by strep, other bacteria responsible are Hemophilus and Moraxella. Starting an antibiotic at this stage helps in early recovery. As you have been started on antibiotics I would advise continuing that, but only one antibiotic that is Biaxin (Clarithromycin) to be taken after food.

Antibiotics are known to cause gastric upset, which usually gets relieved once the course stops. If this is too much take Zantac (Ranitidine) 150 mg before food twice daily and take warm salt water gargles at least thrice a day. If there is no relief, please follow up after seven days.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|