Q. How can I manage sore throat and difficulty in swallowing?

I am 19-years-old female. I am pretty healthy and have an average weight. I had a sore throat for two days and it is extremely hard to swallow due to swelling to the point I can barely eat solid food. It is not scratchy, and I do not have a cough or fever.

I went to the urgent care, strep was negative but the doctor said it must be strep and would not listen to any of my symptoms. He spent about 30 seconds with me and is treating me with Biaxin. Pain is killing me, and my stomach is having a hard time with these antibiotics even with food.

Dr. Manu Wilfred
MBBS., MS OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGY
Otolaryngology (E.N.T

From the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your diagnosis is acute follicular tonsillitis. Usually, this is caused by strep, other bacteria responsible are Hemophilus and Moraxella. Starting an antibiotic at this stage helps in early recovery. As you have been started on antibiotics I would advise continuing that, but only one antibiotic that is Biaxin (Clarithromycin) to be taken after food.

Antibiotics are known to cause gastric upset, which usually gets relieved once the course stops. If this is too much take Zantac (Ranitidine) 150 mg before food twice daily and take warm salt water gargles at least thrice a day. If there is no relief, please follow up after seven days.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic tonsillitis is a recurrent infection of the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue present in the throat. They act as drainage points of various structures in the throat. When they get infected, they cause pain, soreness, headache, fever, and malaise. Tonsil...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having a sore throat for past one week. The pain is mild but constant, it feels as if there is something is stuck in the back of my throat or on my tongue, but nothing is there. There is redness around the area. I went to the doctor five days back and was prescribed a 10 day...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have granular pharyngitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your throat looks chronically infected. Do you have post nasal drip as well that means does phlegm drains down from your nose to throat? It is suggestive of sinusitis which can recur...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Air humidifiers are of various types and not all of them are useful for someone suffering from tonsillitis. And also, tonsillitis requires gargling of warm water mixed with salt. Salt water gargling helps reduce pain, inflammation and infection in the throat by the foll...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, Four years ago, I had an appendicitis surgery. There is a flesh like growth where the stitches are placed. What should I do now? How to get it removed?  Read Full »
Dr. Eriol Braholli
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fleshy lumps you are feeling in the incision area are granulomas due to the body reaction against the material of the stitches. Sometimes, they go away using anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. So, I would suggest Clarithromycin and Ibuprofen twice daily for 10 d...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with tonsillitis for past three years. Nearly four months back, my tonsils got swollen. Followed by that the right tonsil remains the same and the left got subsided. In these four months, I had few episodes of pain in my ear. Also the glands in my right side of neck got swo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation we had, I understand that you are an 18 year old male suffering from tonsillitis and you have been having acute exacerbation of the tonsillitis now. Due to the infection, you suffer from ear pain and swollen neck glands. You seem to be suffering fr...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist »