Q. I have sore throat with enlarged tonsils and radiating pain. Please help.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Recently, I had a sore throat and tonsil stones. I took antibiotics and it has not gone away. One tonsil is bigger than the other and on the same side my ear hurts and feels like there is fluid in there. No normal doctor will see, but I know 100% it is not COVID-19. I have a newborn and have not left the house over a month. I am currently taking Amoxicillin. Kindly help.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Based on your history, it can be recurrent tonsillitis. And tonsil stones means you are talking about whitish structures in tonsils, right?

And coming to ear pain it is referred to as otalgia from throat infection. Do not worry. It will decrease if throat infection is reduced. And which antibiotics did you take? Can you name them? So that they can not repeat.

| 

Yes, white stones in tonsils that are quite large when I remove them. Throat is not sore anymore. It just feels like there is something in my throat, which I am assuming is my enlarged tonsil.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Please avoid cold beverages and food. Drink lukewarm water. Do Betadine mouth gargling thrice daily.

Do you have any allergic symptoms like running nose, itching, frequent sneezes and acidity problems? If you are getting these episodes recurrently, please find some time to go for surgery. And if you tell me your previous medications, I can send you the prescription.

| 

The antibiotics I took were Amoxicillin. I took a full course. Not sure if they are related, but I feel really run down. I have no other symptoms besides headache, one tonsil bigger than the other, and the feeling of fluid in my ear.

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Please go with tablet Clarithromycin 500 mg once daily for five days, tablet Montair-FX daily once at bedtime for one week, tablet Esomeprazole 40 mg once daily 30 minutes before antibiotics for five days, Betadine mouth gargling thrice daily, and tablet Paracetamol 500 mg (SOS).

Please avoid cold beverages and food that can be the main culprit for recurrent episodes and drink lukewarm water and do steam inhalation at bedtime, so that the ear will get free of fluid (can drain through your nose). If there is fluid and the ear can get better after this subsides.

|