Q. Why do I have some discomfort in throat following cold?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

I am 20 years old. I had a pretty bad cold three weeks ago. The cold seems to have subsided, but my lingual tonsils seem to be enlarged. I also have little bumps on the back of my throat. I have drainage in the bottom of my throat as well. Also, a few patches of white under my right tonsil. I do not seem to have any painful symptoms, except once in a while my thyroid or Adam's apple presents discomfort. But, nothing painful though. I will include pictures if that is an option. I had an appointment with an ENT and he said everything looked normal. Just curious as to why this has not subsided or showed any real signs of recovering. It had been occurring for about three to four weeks. Thank you.

#

Lingual tonsils may get enlarged during an episode of upper respiratory tract infection.

Also with details you have provided it appears that you have some remnant inflammation in your upper respiratory tract. That is causing the granular pharyngitis, tonsillitis and mucus drip down the throat.

I suggest you take the following medications. Tablet of Trypsin-Chymotrypsin combination that acts as anti-inflammatory twice a day before meals, with Acetaminophen tablet as and when needed, with steam inhalation and Chlorhexidine mouth gargles. Continue this for five days.

I also suggest you a tablet of Omeprazole once daily before breakfast for two weeks. If still your symptoms do not subside, then we need to do a throat swab and an endoscopy. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|