Q. What happens when something gets stuck in between teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Nov 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2019

I have a doubt regarding some general facts. Please explain the following elaborately. Is it fine to pluck out a gray hair? What happens when something gets stuck in between teeth for several days? What is the effect of teeth chatter? What is the growling of the stomach? When does the ear pop? Please explain.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

When we pluck out a hair, we feel a slight sharp pain at that point of time. The hair usually breaks along with its follicle, thus that space remains hairless in the future. But if the hair breaks in between with its follicle intact, then the hair will regrow.

When food gets stuck in between teeth for many days, the primary problem is the discomfort for one or two days. Then followed by the food particle gets decomposed causing bacteria formation which then causes initiation of caries from sides of both teeth due to acid production. You must pay attention to such a decayed tooth.

When our teeth chatter, there is not much discomfort or other problems. But it can cause attrition of incisal edges and sensitivity in the long-term.

Our stomach growls when our stomach is empty, thus acid production irritates the stomach walls and gas is formed. This growling is called hunger pangs. It is a physiological method by which the body lets the mind know about the need for food immediately.

Our ears pop when there is a pressure change in the atmosphere. For example, when we go to a higher altitude, the eardrum adjusts to the external pressure by changing its position slightly. This helps in creating an equal pressure both inside the ear canal and outside. This maintains our body balance and helps in standing erect.

What can be the reason for gray hair in children?

Query: Hello doctor, What can be the reason for hair turning white in kids? Is there any solution to this problem? I read on the internet that hair can turn white even when vitamins or iron levels are low. If supplements are taken, can this problem be reduced? What kind of diet would help?  Read Full »

Why do I have teeth sensitivity, pain, and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old boy. I have teeth pain and sensitivity whenever I drink something cold or hot. Why does it occur? I also have stains on my teeth. I do not smoke or drink alcohol, but my teeth do not look white. How can I improve the colour of my teeth? Also, why do I get the smell ...  Read Full »

Why does my sacrum not stay in place?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to pop my sacrum every day for my hips to feel good. I do this by putting a pillow in between my legs and squeezing my glutes as hard as I can. My question is why does the sacrum not stay in place? What can I do to make it stay in place?  Read Full »