Q. Clot came out of socket three days after extraction. Can it cause dry socket?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I had a tooth extraction a week back and three days later, the clot came out of the tooth. Now I am not in any pain. I get the occasional tingle or slight pain but I am terrified of getting dry socket. I am rinsing with salt water every half an hour or so. Should I be worried about it developing?

#

As your chief complaint suggests that you started slight pain or tingling after two days of extraction, it can be due to trauma during extraction, exposure of bone by not suturing it, if needed, psychological feeling of pain due to fear of getting dry socket, may be presence of small root tip or bony spicule behind.

As your attachment photo reveals there are little chances of getting dry socket so you need not worry (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are advised to keep mouth and area clean by rising after taking food. Avoid blowing anything or smoking. To avoid pain, take Paracetamol 500 mg SOS. Wait for two days. If pain continues, you are advised to do an IOPAR of the concerned tooth, you may need ZOE (zinc oxide eugenol) pack which can be put by the same dentist. A dry socket as I tell you occurs mostly in elderly patients with medically compromised conditions like diabetes, smokers, traumatic extraction particularly third molars but your attachment reveals it is the second premolar. So, there are least chances.

|