Q. After my extraction, My doctor said that I might get dry socket. Why?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

It has been five days since I got my wisdom tooth pulled out. The extraction took around 45 minutes for that one tooth and they had to break it into three pieces. The wisdom tooth was impacted. My dentist packed the socket, but said that I might have dry socket. The pain with the packing was worse and I was bleeding by the time I got done with the gauze. Is this normal? The pain is better now. I did see a hole in my mouth before they packed it today. I feel there is increasing bad breath. I am currently taking Tylenol, Aspirin and Amoxicillin.

#

• Dry socket is one of the complications of tooth extraction. If the dry socket occurs, then it takes 7 to 10 days to heal.
  • Do lukewarm saline mouth rinse for three to four days. And, continue the medication as advised.
  • Increase protein intake in your diet, avoid alcohol, smoking and soda.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|