Q. I have lost my tooth filling. Can I have a new filling or a crown?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have lost a filling present on my bottom left tooth next to my wisdom tooth. Some portion of the tooth has broken away. I do not have pain in that tooth now. Is it right to have a new filling on that tooth or can I have a dental crown on that tooth? Is it possible to have a crown on that tooth? Is it a complicated procedure?

#

A filling can be placed again, and the tooth is contoured correctly. A composite can be used to build the tooth and then the tooth can be contoured adequately. Then a crown can be placed. If the tooth is not broken much, then a cutting can be done, and a crown can be placed. If the crown of the tooth is broken more, a post and core can be used. All these measures are taken depending on the status of the crown structure. These measures are entirely noncomplicated and can be done without a problem. Please send a photograph of the tooth. It will be easy for me to guide you. If there is no pain, then it is easy to fix the problem.

Sometimes, I get little pain on the tooth when I chew. I have placed a temporary filling material on the tooth at this moment. Is it common to have the filling coming out?

#

Yes, you can place a temporary filling of Zinc oxide eugenol on the tooth. It has a soothing effect on the tooth. It can be placed for 21 days if there is no pain. Then, the doctor will place a permanent filling or crown after a few days. It is normal to have fillings coming out from the tooth. A silver filling can come out after 10 or 20 years. It depends on the material used for the filling, and the cavity preparation done by the dentist. I advise you go to an endodontist after a few days if you have pain in the tooth.

|