Q. I felt a sharp pain in my filled molar on taking cold drinks. Why?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

I had my two back molars on the top left side of my mouth filled about three weeks ago and after a few days, everything was fine. No pain, nothing. But a few days ago, I realized that every time I drink hot, cold, and sometimes even room temperature liquids there is a sharp almost piercing pain that lasts for a few seconds. (More so with the cold drink than hot or room temperature drink). It does not hurt to bite down but it does hurt to actually chew something on that side. Even when I take a deep breath through my mouth, the cold air hurts the tooth. The pain feels like the liquid or the air is literally going inside my tooth and releasing that sharp pain. I made an appointment to see my dentist and he said the nerve might be exposed. What does that mean? What kind of procedure needs to be done? Or what do you think is wrong?

#

First, get a radiograph done for those two teeth, it will tell the status of your teeth. Sometimes, if the filling is high, you experience pain. The filling might be fractured. The nerve exposure means caries has reached till the pulpal horn.

Parts of teeth:

Enamel: a hard mineralized structure that forms the crown part of the tooth.

Dentin: calcified tissue. It is covered by enamel on the crown, cementum on the root part of the tooth and surrounds the entire pulp.

Cementum: specialized calcified substance covering the outer surface of the root of the tooth.

Pulp: consists of nerves.

If caries are present in enamel or dentin filling is done. If caries reaches the pulp, root canal treatment has to be done. The dentist is talking about root canal treatment, in that treatment infected or dead pulp is removed and medicine is filled.

Radiograph of those two teeth.

Get a radiograph done and plan further.
Meanwhile, do lukewarm saline mouth rinse three to four times daily. Use desensitizing toothpaste.
Avoid too hot or cold food and beverages.

| 

Tooth Fracture - Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: Did you know that a fractured tooth can go unnoticed until it gets infected? Learn about its symptoms, types, causes, and treatment options. Read Article

Introduction: Crown and root are the two parts of a tooth. The root is made up of two hard tissues, enamel and dentin, and the root has dentin and cementum. The center of the tooth (root canal) consists of soft pulp, which contains the nerves and blood vessels. A fracture can include enamel, dentin...  Read Article

Dental Veneers - Advantages and Disadvantages

Article Overview: Dental veneers are used to improve the color, shape, and position of front teeth and make your smile beautiful. Learn more about dental veneers here. Read Article

What is a Dental Veneer? A veneer is a thin layer of porcelain made to fit over the front surface of the tooth, for aesthetic purpose. Veneer is like an artificial covering over a tooth surface. Types of Veneer Porcelain veneer. Composite veneer. Let's Compare Porcelain Venee...  Read Article

Root Canal Treatment

Article Overview: Root Canal Treatment is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extending beyond the apex of the root of the tooth, infecting the surrounding peri-radicular tissues, and also in some other cases. Read Article

The most common complaint that the patients come up with to a dentist is toothache and the frequently heard term by them is root canal treatment. It is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extend...  Read Article