Q. During pregnancy, is it necessary to take treatment for IgG positive toxoplasmosis?

Published on Mar 04, 2017

My wife is 4 months pregnant. Her toxoplasmosis report showed IgG reactive and IgM non-reactive. Our doctor prescribed her Rovamycine forte 30 tablets for 10 days. What shall we do?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I sincerely advise her to not take anything.

Any infection produces two types of antibodies. They are IgG and IgM.

IgG is from infections which occurred many years or decades ago. It is not harmful as it will not cross the placenta and will not affect the baby.

IgM is an acute infection. It means she has an infection now. It will be dangerous to the baby. Usually, these infections occur once.

Now if she has IgG, then it only means that she had infections sometime in the past. So, no need to take medicines unnecessarily now. Please share this with your treating doctor.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What is the effect of toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 years old. Now, she is normal. Her mother had toxoplasmosis when baby born. After birth, doctors examined baby's blood and she has not got the germs of toxoplasmosis. Now my question is will it cause any problem in the future?  Read Full »

How do I know if I have listeria or toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »