Q. During pregnancy, is it necessary to take treatment for IgG positive toxoplasmosis?

My wife is 4 months pregnant. Her toxoplasmosis report showed IgG reactive and IgM non-reactive. Our doctor prescribed her Rovamycine forte 30 tablets for 10 days. What shall we do?

#

I sincerely advise her to not take anything.

Any infection produces two types of antibodies. They are IgG and IgM.

IgG is from infections which occurred many years or decades ago. It is not harmful as it will not cross the placenta and will not affect the baby.

IgM is an acute infection. It means she has an infection now. It will be dangerous to the baby. Usually, these infections occur once.

Now if she has IgG, then it only means that she had infections sometime in the past. So, no need to take medicines unnecessarily now. Please share this with your treating doctor.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|