Q. Would whitening products help in translucent tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

My teeth are very translucent. I do not know the reason. Is there a medical reason for this? I never smoke and rarely drink. Are there supplements that I can take to remineralize them? Would that help?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• There is no way of remineralizing permanent teeth by taking calcium or other medication.
  • If it is too translucent that you are uncomfortable with its appearance then you can have either of the following.
  • Dental laminates or dental veneers - which are a type of ceramic sheet of desirable shades over the visible side of teeth. These can be done for the front visible teeth.
  • The other more durable method is to put Zirconium crowns over the teeth which seems more translucent.
  • Both the treatments require some reduction of the tooth structure to place the laminates or crowns.
  • You can do it on the upper central six teeth and lower central six which are visible prominently or only the upper six.
  • There is no other treatment available to make the teeth more opaque.

For further doubts consult a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Is there anything can be done in terms of whitening products?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Whitening products are used when the teeth are darker in shade that is yellowish.
  • I would like to see the teeth to understand whether you mean your teeth are literally translucent.

Revert back with the photos to a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|