Q. Is it advisable to have braces five years after teeth whitening?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I want to ask you that, can I have braces because five years back I had teeth whitening due to which I have many cracks in my teeth. So can I put braces or will it worsen it?

#

I want to answer your question in two parts. Firstly, I would like to give an honest opinion about your question that is will the braces further create more cracks in your original teeth? So answer is yes if you will go for conventional orthodontic treatment (in which manually metal brackets are put on teeth) and I would say no if you will go for invisible aligner type orthodontic treatment (in it only invisible tray is given to wear, no bracketing is involved).

Secondly, I would like to give my suggestion regarding your case. I would suggest going for ortho treatment inspite of the fact your tooth enamel is weaken. If your teeth are severly malaligned, crowded or you have any difficulty in eating, air passage, etc., like there is a genuine cause that needs to be corrected through ortho braces because you are 20 and it is an ideal age for treatment. More you delay, more it will become difficult for teeth to move. Treatment will take more time as age grows older like one year treatment at 20 might take two and a half year time at age 30. If there is no severe ortho issue and you want braces just for a cosmetic reason then I would suggest you to avoid ortho treatment. If you opt for doing ortho braces treatment then your enamel might get weakened due to bracketing but later you can get it fixed by veneering procedure. It will look fine later. Hopefully, you will be able to decide well now about what treatment you should go for. I might give a better opinion after seeing picture of your teeth.

|