Q. Ultrasound showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. Please help.

Dr. Vivekanandan .g
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

My father is 67 years old. He is having mild psychiatric problem for the past 17 days. In the middle, around five days back the creatinine level increased from 1.1 to 5.6. So, an ultrasound was done and that showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. But, urination was not completely blocked. Now, the urologist has attached a catheter to pass out the urine and said that after 10 days laser surgery will be done to cut away the prostrate. We are really in dilemma. Whether surgery is necessary? Or can it be cured by medication? Currently, he is taking Tamdura capsules one at night, Cetil 250 twice daily, Tranostat 40 mg once daily and Nefrozon twice daily. His psychiatrist prescribed Lopez 2 mg at bedtime and Qutan 50 mg twice daily. Reports attached are blood test, USG scan and urine test report.

#

I have checked your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your father has enlarged prostate with severe obstruction, which is bad enough to cause renal failure.
  • So, I would strongly advice your father to undergo transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) operation, after the creatinine becomes normal.
  • Relying on medicines will be too risky, with a background of psychiatric disorder.

For further clarifications consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

The urologist said he would use some LASER technique to cut away the prostrate. Is it so? And some people say that even after operation the prostrate again can get enlarge and repeated surgeries are required. Please share your opinion. My father is having this urine obstruction for just last 4-5 days. While using the catheter sometimes some red colored liquid seems light blood has been noticed, but it is not regular. It goes away by itself after 30-45 minutes. Is it a serious concern? Or is it due to the medicines?

#

• If the surgery is done properly, there will not be any need for repeated operations.
  • It is normal to see some blood in urine in catheterized patients; you need not worry about that.

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|