Q. Is the vascular mass mentioned in my transvaginal ultrasound a polyp?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I need to speak with radiologist in regards to an transvaginal ultrasound and the results i have. Thank you. How long will a doctor take to respond to my request Hello

# Hi,
Thanks for writing in to us.

You have a radiologist responding to your query.
Please begin with your details on transvaginal ultrasound and the results you got.

Thanks

Please review the results and explain to me if this vascular mass is of a concern or it is just a polyp. Thank you so much. Also if you compare the tickness of the Uterus and the size of the Endometrium from the results of last year wihich is attached here as well why such a great change? Is this normal? Thank you So 2 quetions

1. What is this vascular mass is this ussually polyp?

2. Why such a great change between the 2 pelvic ultrasound a year apart.

Thank you so much

#

Hi, Thanks for sharing the TVS scan reports and images.

Hope you are not in much discomfort. Answering your queries

1. The previous TVS scan report does not show any significant abnormality in endometrial cavity or uterus. However, in the scan done later, there is an endocervical lesion which appears to be well circumscribed and seen to occupy the lumen of the endocervical canal.

It shows few tiny cystic changes/ fluid spaces within. The lesion is mentioned in the report as vascular but supporting images showing vascularity or blood flow are not enclosed.

Therefore it is difficult for me to accurately comment on vascularity on the given images. This lesion could be either a polyp arising from cervix or from the endometrium. Since you are complaining of post coital bleeding, it needs detailed investigation with higher imaging modality like MRI. This is to visualise extent and for characterisation of the origin and nature of the lesion.

Further consultation with your gynecologist is recommended, who can do local examination and provide clinical input on the nature and management.

2. In reply to the difference in the findings between two scans done 15 months apart, it is possible that the lesion might have been of a tiny in size to be picked up on a scan previously and has now grown over the period to the present size and is well visualised on ultrasound scan. There are certain technical limitations in doing scans and 15 months is a reasonable time to allow for significant change in size or a new condition to develop.

Regards,

Thank you Dr.Vivek,
That makes sence, on the question 2 would you please ellaborate if the changes of the uterus size from previous and endometrial size from previous is normal for my age. The tickness is almost a double of size .Thank you so much.
Yes i had one polyp removed via hysteroscopy but the Dr. said last year i have 2 more inside furter and i need to take them out, howver i never did. Maybe its time to take them out. Please answer a bit more on question 2. Thank you so much.
#

Hi, Thanks for writing in to us.

The size of the uterus in both reports are in normal limits for your age. The mild variation in length given as 69 mm in the previous scan and 90 mm in the present scan can be due to operator variablilty or can be due to technical differences in measurement, if one was measured in TAS scan and the other was in TVS scan. The growth of polyp also causes a bulky cervix and thereby resulting in an increase in the size of uterus in totality.

Endometrial thickness is also in normal limits for a woman who is menstruating. The endometrial thickness depends on hormone levels and gradually increases through the cycle till menstruation. So the sonologist has to correlate the endometrial thickness with the phase of menstrual cycle in an individual. I understand that the sonologist has confirmed the phase of your menstrual cycle and therefore mentioned it as within normal limits.

Thanks for sending the query.

|