Q. There are spotting and cramps soon after periods. Why?

Dr. Nadia Khan

My wife had a cervical tumor or some kind of growth in her teenage years. Whatever it was, medication took care of it for her. Now she is 31, has had three kids, and for the last few months has spotted and cramped for one day right after her period ends. She has a pap smear appointment for next week, but I am extremely worried in the meantime. What are the chances that the symptoms are because of cancer? Are there other benign conditions that are more likely causing this?

#

Thanks for sharing this information here. First of all I would like to see her reports from the previous diagnosis and treatment and only then I would be convinced that it was a tumour. Secondly, from your point, it sounds that it was only a cervical polyp which is totally benign and after removal of it patient does not have any symptoms.

And thirdly, pap smear does not detect cancer. It detects only early changes which Iead to cancer. So get relaxed now as nothing is wrong with your wife as she has given birth to three healthy kids. She must go for a pap smear without any hesitation and I hope it would be fine as well.

Hi docor,

Thank you so much. That helps to ease my mind a bit. I do wonder though that when a woman presents with post-period spotting and cramping (for a day or so), how often is it something to worry about? We have read about uterine incapacity and so forth, so I know it could be very benign, but how often does that symptom wind up indicating cancer?

#

Post-period spotting and cramping is absolutely normal and it occurs due to ovulation and it has nothing to do with any disease.

|