Q. Tablet Loperamide has reduced my diarrhea. Can I take more Loperamide tablets?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

• I had 3 rotis in a highway hotel, with curry and raitha. After 1 hour, I got loose motion.
  • I took tablet Eldoper (Loperamide), one tablet. I felt better then.
  • After about 2 hours, I again had loose motion (lesser than the earlier time).
  • I also felt it was a little restricted than the earlier probably due to Loperamide.
  • What do I do now? Should I take any tablet?
  • I have more Loperamide tablets. Shall I take them?
  • What food should I eat during this time and what should I avoid?
  • Also, can I take fruits like apple, pomegranate? Could that help me with this problem?
#

• You have got traveler's diarrhea.
  • Start taking tablet Ciplox TZ 500mg (Ciprofloxacin and Tinidazole) one tablet two times a day for 4 days, after meals.
  • Also take capsule Darolac (lactobacillus) one capsule two times a day, after meals for 4 days.
  • Stop taking tablet Loperamide.
  • Avoid outside food.
  • Eat home made, easily digestible food.
  • Drink 8 glasses of water and lots of fruit juices (only home made).
  • Take banana and avoid apple.

Get well soon.

Consult a general practitioner online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you doctor for the clear and concise explanation. Can you kindly clarify more queries below?

• How about exercise, can I do them? (running)
  • Can I go to office from tomorrow? I get only office canteen food, in that case, what type of food I should take? I get only rotis there.
  • Can I take pomegranate also? After how many days, can I start taking apple? 
  • Can I take green tea?
  • Can I take mint leaves juice with  lemon (home made)?
#

Hello ,

• Avoid exercise for 2-3 days. You can just go for a walk which will make you feel fresh.
  • Take rest, if possible take off from work for a day.
  • Avoid canteen and outside food strictly for one week. Take home food for lunch, avoid canteen food.
  • Have easily digestible food without spices.
  • You can take pomegrante juice, avoid apple, as it will lead to loose motion.
  • You can take apple after 4 days.
  • As for now, hold green tea and mint. But, you can take lemon juice diluted in water (only home made).

Wish you good health.

Revert back to general practitioner online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|