Q. I am on Doxycycline. Will it affect my sputum report accuracy?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I am a 45 year old female. I am getting on and off cough. I have lost 5 kg in the last two years. My CT shows atypical changes and QuantiFERON TB test shows positive with a reading of 0.38. I am waiting to get my sputum test result. I am currently on Doxycycline 100 mg per day and this is my second course. I have mild breathing difficulty on exertion and has bilateral apical pleuro pulmonary thickening and scarring along with apical pulmonary infiltrates. What is my actual diagnosis?

#

• As per your symptoms, pulmonary tuberculosis have to be ruled out.
  • Weight loss of 5 kg in two years is not significant. But, on and off cough with breathlessness is significant.
  • QuantiFERON TB is not a diagnosis of active TB, It shows latent TB.
  • Your CT findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity) favorable to pulmonary TB, maybe some healed lesions. From your sputum results you can get a definitive diagnosis.
  • You can try empirical antituberculosis treatment also.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Currently, I am taking Doxycycline and sent a sputum sample. Does this affect my accuracy of sputum report? If my sputum result shows negative, then do I need treatment?

#

• Doxycycline will not affect the accuracy.
  • Even if sputum samples are negative and still you have symptoms, then you may need empirical therapy.

For further doubts consult a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I had whooping cough test positive. That time I had a persistent cough with a whoop sound ending and treated with Azithromycin. Can whooping cough cause lung changes such as scarring, pleural thickening and infiltration? Now my cough stopped and when I touch, both rib cages feel pain. I feel this pain for more than 5 years. Sometimes,  I feel some inflammatory pain. When I asked to my GP, he said I am a bit skinny. He advised me to use some soft pillows when I sleep. I had a history of bronchitis two to three times. I think that this might result in muscle pain. I still have that pain on my both sides. What type of pain is it? Please let me know the causes. Do I need to get isolated from my family for my current situation? Please let me know if I need isolation. My cough settled with two courses of ABS Doxycycline. Sputum stopped only producing sticky mucus with salty taste always. When I get up in the morning I can see some yellow color sputum.

#

• If sputum positive to TB bacilli, then only you need isolation. Otherwise, no need of isolation and wearing facemask for one to two weeks is sufficient.
  • Whooping cough may or may not be the cause of apical lung changes.
  • Your CT scan shows healed lesions.

Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

My three samples of sputum AFB came as negative. My specialist checked my CT film and said there is mild changes. My doctor advised me repeat AFB after 6 weeks. They did my all blood test today and will review after 6 weeks with all the results.

#

• It is good that AFB is negative. As I said CT findings looks old lesions (fibrotic).
  • Some infiltrates are also there. So, we need to rule out active disease.
  • You can wait for culture report. It will take minimum 3 weeks. No need of isolation now.
  • Continue the medication and complete Doxycycline course.

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|