Q. Is it normal to have twitching of both the eyelids?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Jan 15, 2018

I am 24 years old, my height is 6 feet and I weigh 200 pounds. Is it normal for both the eyelids to twitch? Bottom left eyelid and top right eyebrow twitch whenever I blink. It is worrisome. I drink caffeine but I am well rested. I had a negative brain CT scan done last month. I have never had both sides twitch.

I have a reasonable amount of anxiety and stress lately. Have had a concussion history but nothing in over a year and have been cleared by many doctors and have had a negative CT scan.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Even though the eyelid twitches are very commonly associated with stress and they usually go away on their own without any treatment, the involvement of both eyelids could also be an early sign of blepharospasm which requires treatment.

If symptoms are getting worse or twitches turn to spasm you must see an ophthalmologist who will evaluate the condition.

If treatment is needed, a botox injection does the trick hence do not stress. It is not complicated.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Is surgery advisable for abductor spasmodic dysphonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from abductor spasmodic dysphonia diagnosed nearly 11 years ago and I have received Botox injections every three to four months since then. Generally, they did work over the years until the last two years or so outcomes have been very poor. The last Botox shots by GA (six un...  Read Full »

Anal Fissure: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments.

Article Overview: Pain in the anus is one of the most common complaints encountered in the outpatient clinics. The pain is sometimes described by the patient as 'my worst pain ever. This article provides some suggestions on how to avoid facing this annoying issue by making few dietary and lifestyle changes. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

An anal fissure is a tear or ulcer that develops in the lining of the anal canal after passing a hard motion. Actually, it affects one in ten people at some point in their lives. All age groups and both sexes are affected equally. Causes Constipation is the most common cause either by itself or ...  Read Article

I am using Refresh eye drops for five years. Will it be a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male with no hypertension and non-diabetic. Since many years I have the dry eye problems and have been using Refresh tears drops or Refresh Liquigel. Last year, I developed frequent twitching of eyes and eye specialist prescribed the same eye drops and fish oil 1200...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now