Q. I am having on and off fever for one week. What fever is it?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

I am a 27 year old male. Doctor prescribed me Azithral and Fepanil for fever. But, the fever is on and off for the past seven days. My blood test showed normal no malaria or dengue or typhoid. First, I took Azithral and Fepanil and then the next day doctor added Cefuroxime axetil along with it. As the fever continues, I have got Amikacin intravenous. And now I have stopped all the medicines and still have a fever. What fever is it? I had four Fepanil capsules per day for every six hours for the past seven days. My blood report is normal and there is no pathogen for malaria, dengue or typhoid. But, the value of WBC is high with ESR of 50mm showing microcytic anemia with neutrophilia.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

The possibilities for fever in your case are as follows:

• Your history of symptoms were suggestive of typhoid fever. So, in typhoid fever the response to treatment can be delayed for five days after starting the treatment.
  • Once bacteria are killed the secretion if inflammatory cytokines decrease and the fever gets subsided.
  • Second one, it can be a drug fever. This an an entity where drugs used can cause fever. When there is no adequate response even on multiple drugs we think of this possibility and stop all drugs and see if the fever responds.
  • Kindly upload the reports, so that I can go through them and can tell you if there are minor clues to the etiology of fever.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|