Q. I have an infection on my lips. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I have an infection on my lips. I honestly do not know what it is. Two weeks ago, I got tests for syphilis and chlamydia, which were negative. Since then, I have had a sore on my lip. But I notice that when I saw this sore with a flashlight, my lip there was yellow. There is no pain. I have been using beeswax chapstick. Keep in mind that I do lick my lips a lot. I have attached two pictures, and the first picture was at the time I visited the doctor. And the second picture if of now.

#

I have seen the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is not an infection. This is an ulcer formed probably due to irritation and excoriation due to repeated licking. Your whole lower lip is erythematous, which indicates your lip is getting traumatized and excoriation due to irritation by saliva and trauma by licking. You should also be peeling off your skin over the lip, leading to an ulcer. There is also a role of vitamin B deficiency.
  • At this stage, you can continue beeswax chapstick, two to three times a day. I suggest taking tablet Zevit (Multivitamin) or other vitamin B complex supplements once a day for two weeks. Most importantly, you need to discontinue habit of licking. At this stage, there is no need for any antibiotics. This will heal in 2 to 3 weeks.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

It still hasn't disappeared. Your thoughts ?
# sorry for late reply..
Have you stopped licking the lips, had some vitamins supplements?
Repeated lip licking also predisposes to fungal infection of the lip due to wet environment. So you should apply clotrimazole lip cream twice a day for for one week and if responds then to be continued for three weeks. All the best.

|