Q. We had protected sex during her periods. Is there still a chance of pregnancy?

Published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My fiancee and I had protected sex yesterday, on the second day of her periods. She took Unwanted 72 today morning. Please let me know if there are any chances of pregnancy.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• The fertile period for women most often occurs during the middle of the cycle and not during the periods. As she was menstruating, the chances of pregnancy are near to nil, even if you had unprotected sex.
  • In the future, I request you to use a condom and avoid hormonal pills as much as possible.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I had bleeding after taking I-pill. Was it periods or withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I had taken a pill and got bleeding. I thought it was periods because I had little cramps but that bleeding was so light and it lasted for three to four days. After that I had protected sex two weeks back but to be complete sure I took another pill two days later and my periods was du...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I-pill is emergency contraception. It should be taken not more than once or twice in a year. It has many serious side effects. Secondly, you took I-pill twice in one month would definitely create some hormonal imbalance which might take a couple of weeks to settle. I...  Read Full

Will taking the first four Yasmin pills stop unwanted pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee took four Yasmin pills as emergency contraception. But after that, she felt so weak and had heavy breathing. So due to that, we decided not to take another four pills after 12 hours. Will the first four pills stop unplanned pregnancy? That was taken within less than 30 hour...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Using Yasmin pills for emergency contraception follows the Yuzpe regimen where oral contraceptive pills are used as ECP within 72 hours of last intercourse. As the first four pills have been taken by her after 30 hours of intercourse as per the regimen, so the next s...  Read Full

Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Condoms have a failure rate of 15 percent and can cause pregnancy. However, we do not always recommend emergency contraception if you have used a condom. If you have used it correctly and felt that there was no condom breakage or leakage from them, there is no need to ...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now